Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day



On November 4 , 1980 I was eight years old and in the 4th grade, and Ronald Reagan got elected. I was hopping mad. I don't remember watching his inauguration, but I probably refused to watch it in protest. I didn't warm up to him, or to his successor, Bush 41, over the next 12 years.

On November 3, 1992 I was a 20 year old college student and Bill Clinton got elected. I watched his inaugural the following January with mixed but positive emotions. I was grateful to see the back of Republican rule, I had great hopes for the future, and I was idealistic in the way that only newly enfranchised college students can be. My political cynicism set in right about the same time "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" kicked in, and by the time reforming health care crashed and burned, I was feeling pretty grim about the future of the Democratic party. I voted for Nader in 1996 in protest (but not four years later). And then we had the last eight years. And it all got so much worse.

But today, watching the inaugural, I feel hope again. Obama wasn't my first primary choice, or even my second (Edwards, then Clinton, for those who were wondering). He has more centrist views than I, and I was seriously annoyed at Rick Warren being picked for the invocation. And of course we all know the country is a total mess, and it is a mess that will take a long hard slog to clean up. But I am impressed with what Obama has done so far, and for the first time since 1993 I feel hope about our political future. Long may it continue.

So, to celebrate the return of hope, I will borrow a construct from my friend J--- over at Very Well Then, and list a few of my favorite things on this Inauguration Day:

  • The site of the helicopter leaving the Capitol, with the Bushes safely ensconced inside. That bird was lifted into the air by the collective exhalation of millions of people around the world heaving a sigh of relief. (Seeing Cheney get wheeled away didn't hurt my heart much either.)
  • The view from the Capitol steps out across the mall, as around 2 million people crowded to watch Obama take the oath of office, and the feeling as Obama spoke. Millions of people all over the world were together in that moment, watching one individual, but connected by hope. Not something one gets to feel every day, is it?
  • That whatever else happens, my sometimes backward, intolerant nation managed to elect an intelligent, thoughtful, articulate person with integrity to its highest office at a time when such qualities are most needed. Oh, and did anyone else notice that he's black?

P.S. - the image above was created using Obamiconme.

No comments:

Post a Comment